Timberdoodle: Rapelli Game

Educational game- read the reviews

Mom2Mom: Simplifying Your Holidays

Organizing your holidays with all kinds of free resources

Mom2Mom: One on One

Doing one-on-one with each of our children

Work At Home Mom- Part 3

Making work at home work

Shine Your Light

Cyrus International and Trafficking Hope

Guys Are Waffles, Girls Are Spaghetti

Read reviews on a great book for teens

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Girl Talk by Gigi Garner


Mel's Thoughts:
Girl Talk is a book, written by Gigi Garner (daughter of James Garner), for women.  It's absolutely filled to the brim with pieces and tidbits from the minds of several celebrities and "extraordinary women," including actresses like Lucie Arnaz, Melissa Rivers, Joan Rivers, and Naomi Judd.  Some of the other extraordinary women include dentists, doctors, tv anchors, wives and mothers, sales associates, etc.  It encompasses the opinions of a variety of women from all walks of life.  

The book has several different chapters on a variety of different topics pertaining to women.  The topics that are covered include Friend Talk, Career Talk, Clothes Talk, Beauty Talk, Health Talk, Home Talk, Kitchen Talk, Mommy Talk, Pet Talk, and Travel Talk.  Most of the excerpts from these women include a lot of personal anecdotes and stories, which really helps to make them feel much more personal.  Some of the excerpts are full of advice and encouragement.  There are humorous stories, life lessons, craft ideas, gift ideas, and even recipes included in this book, just to name a few.  It's a very easy read that will either produce a smile, or it could even produce a tear or two.  I especially liked the humorous story in the Mommy Talk section, called "The Secret Dish."  It made me giggle, thinking of my own two boys and trying to get them to eat their vegetables.  I might just have to try that sometime....  Another piece that really stuck out to me was "The Beauty of a Grandmother" in Beauty Talk.  It reminded me of my own grandmother and what she meant to me.  

At 148 pages long, you can get Girl Talk for $15.95.  Right now, Five Star Publications is having their 24th anniversary special, and if you order with Paypal, you can get it at the reduced rate of $12.12.  Would I recommend this book?  I'm not sure that I would pay $15 for this book, but I'd be more likely to add it to my ever growing library list.



Melissa J's Thoughts

I stand divided on Girl Talk. 

On the one hand, there were interesting and helpful tidbits contained within the book.  For instance, I love the idea of powdering your bed for every night freshness and finding out what Nature's Bleach is, was pretty neat. I enjoyed the pearls of wisdom from famous people like Babbie Mason and Kim Alexis. Marlee Matlin's cookies sound super yummy and the pet tips made my chuckle. 

That said, I wouldn't recommend this book for the price that it's listed at, $14.95. While I found it "interesting" it didn't captivate me, and it's not one that I feel the need to keep in my library and re-read like my other well-worn books that I have. 

If readers want a cute, fun little read, Girl Talk fits the bill. If you're looking for something with rich, deep nuggets of wisdom that make a lasting impact on your life, you may want to keep browsing the bookstore.  
 


(Disclosure: We were provided with this free book by Five Star Publications.)


2 comments:

Anonymous November 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

That was a pretty fun book to read!
I have already used some of the tips and hints and they actually work! hahaha
Linda Reddoch
http://www.xanga.com/faithmom6

Unknown November 7, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

I would like to win this for my 15 yo sister She loves to read and this would be an inspiring book for her Thanks
tanyainjville@yahoo.com

Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

View My Stats
free counters

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP