1. Create a blog button. A blog "fad" is to post button's from other blogs.
Every site that takes your button and posts it, is a site that is now linking to yours - - which increases Technorati authority.
2. Participate in blog memes. Don't forget to leave a link when you do so, on the home site of the meme.
Need to find meme's to participate in? You can find some on Mel's and Melissa J's sites or check out The Daily Meme which lists memes for every day of the week!
3. List your blog with Technorati.
4. Learn how to use key words when you write.
Have a theme in mind? Check out what the most popular search words are for that theme and include them into your title, main post, and tags.
For example: Want to write about activities for toddlers?
First, go to Google Keyword Tool and type in "activities, toddlers, activities for toddlers".
Look over the list of words that comes up and really focus on using some of the words that have completely filled-in boxes. These are the words most commonly used on Google searches for that particular topic.
Having a keyword dense post will help search engines pick you up. (Don't have it so dense, however, that it's boring and hard to read.)
5. Blog at least three times a week, ideally five.
Need blogging ideas. Use the Google wheel! Darren over at Prologger has a great post and video on how to use this!
6. Everytime you blog, have Technorati ping your site. Better yet, have them ping your newest post!
7. Put an "Add This" button on your site. Better yet, insert it below each post. This allows readers to submit your blog or post to sites such as Facebook, Stumble Upon, Digg, Delicious, and and Reddit, to name just a few.
(And we won't tell anyone, if you occasionally submit your own blog or posts to one of those sites either! ;) )
8. Interlink, interlink, and interlink some more! If you're writing a post on a favorite recipe and you have a previous post on a recipe that might go along with your dish, link that back-post into your current post.
When search engines see that a blog is continually linking back and forth to itself, it sees it as "active" and therefore, continues to crawl it.
9. Along with interlinking, install a Link Within gadget on your blog. This gives readers a heads up that there may be other posts on your blog that they may enjoy reading.
10. Do a giveaway and go around announcing it. Nothing will drive traffic to your blog like a giveway.
You can have readers leave a comment to enter. You can also have them go a step further and have them post a link on their blog to your giveaway, add your button to their site, promote a favorite blog post of yours using your addit button, and link to your giveway with Facebook. All of the above will increase your blog's presence significantly!
You can announce your giveway to the following sites:
1) Thrifty Jinxy's Contest Corner every Monday (hint: even if your giveaway is not on a Monday, go ahead and sign Mr. Linky on the most recent Thrift Jinxy contest).
2) 5 Minutes for Mom Giveaways- Around the Blogosphere (Again, add your giveaway to the most recent Mr. Linky).
11. Don't just expect people to read your site. Visit others blogs and leave comments! Form blog relationships. Chances are, not only will people start coming to your site to comment, you may also make some really great friends this way!